Monday, August 22, 2011

My Old Aunt’s Banana Strawberry Ice Cream Pie


Ok, so you’re going to think I’ve gone back in time. I know. This is a very strange and uncommon desert now a day! We’ve become quite fancy with time. Fashion trends don’t just happen with clothes but with food also. There are some things we just don’t make anymore. Like aspics. Who makes aspics in 2011… Besides maybe your 90 year old grandmother?

But who can deny the power of a great childhood memory? I ate the following desert once in my life, when I was about 9 years old. My aunt (who is now 90 years old!) had made it at her country house and I got to have a nice big piece of this delicious frozen treat. I only had it once and 15 years later, I can still remember it in vivid colors. Good things just never disappear from the mind. My aunt is quite old and I rarely see her, something that often happens when you have a really big family. But this summer, I saw her daughter, and I couldn’t resist talking about the pie and the souvenir I had of it.

You should’ve seen my face when she told me she had the recipe and that she would share it with me. I knew right there I was in trouble; I was gonna have to make this pie, soon. So I made the pie. Who knew something so easy to make could be so delicious to eat? And boy am I proud to see that my childhood memory hasn’t fooled me. This desert might seem old school but it tastes damn good and even though it’s not really the trendy to do anymore, I totally think you should try it too!

BANANA STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM PIE
Makes 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cups chocolate cookies
¼ cup melted salted butter
¾ cup chocolate chips
1 cup 35% cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 bananas, sliced
1 liter strawberry ice cream

PREPARATION
In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with the cream and vanilla. Take off the heat and let cool.


In a food processor, crush the cookies with the butter. Spread at the bottom of a pie plate.



To make the pie, cover the cookies with a layer of bananas. Top with half the ice cream. Cover with half the chocolate mixture. Freeze for about an hour. Repeat the 3 first steps and freeze again for a couple of hours.


Take the pie out of the freezer for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.


Notes: For the chocolate cookies, try Mr. Christie’s simple chocolate cookies… the ones they make Oreo’s with!

If you’re from Quebec, your best pick is Coaticook ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment