Monday, May 16, 2011

Slowly Getting Back Into The Groove With Green Beans And Tomato Salad

Ok, so I have totally been neglecting my readers lately. I have to apologize right off the bat to all of you. I hope you haven’t stopped cooking while you were waiting for me to get back on track! I promise, I’m slowly getting back into business and I will get into the groove of things in no time. I will continue to fill the pages of this blog with amazing and tasteful recipes as of now.


I have the greatest excuse in the world! It’s done. I have a new baby in the house. He’s come 2 weeks ago and life has changed forever. Although he’s already a good kid (of course!), he does wake me up a few times a night for his feedings, which is draining me of most of my good energy. What’s left of it, I keep for my toddler who’s just about to start walking around the house these days. What time is left for cooking? Well, practically none. For the past 2 weeks we’ve been living off unfrozen food or goods brought to us by the family. It hasn’t been all that bad, and the break has been more than welcome!


When I say cooking, I mean taking time to prepare something elaborate to eat. Yet sometimes, I do prepare things that take me about 2 minutes to put together. Which is cooking so easy to make it’s really nothing special. This, I do have time to do these days. That is, if I have the right ingredients in my fridge. This simple recipe is a great accompaniment to any meat or fish dish. It’s simple, super healthy and definitely tasty. This is perfect for anyone who’s like me, trying to get back into shape… or simply for anyone looking for a nice way to eat some greens!


GREEN BEANS AND TOMATO SALAD

INGREDIENTS
Salad
2 cups of green beans
About 10 small vine tomatoes, cut in quarters
¼ cup Pine nuts

Dressing
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt & Pepper

PREPARATION
Boil some water in a medium saucepan. Incorporate the green beans and cook them for about 5-7 minutes or until cooked but still crunchy (like Al Dente for pasta!). Empty the boiling water and rinse off with cold water. Set aside.

In a small skillet, over medium heat, slightly roast the pine nuts. Make sure to watch them carefully as pine nuts are very easy to burn. Set aside.


In a small bowl, mix together the Dijon Mustard and balsamic vinegar. Slowly incorporate the olive oil while mixing. Add the garlic. Season to taste. Set aside.


Cut the green beans in small pieces, about 1 inch long. Put them in a large bowl. Add the diced tomatoes and the Pine nuts. Pour the dressing on top and gently mix.


Serve with fish or meat on a nice sunny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment