Monday, January 31, 2011

The easiest almond cake you’ll ever bake

I’m sick with a cold these days. Probably like most people who go through a roughly cold winter. And a cold slows me down, even in the kitchen. I don’t have as many ideas and I certainly don’t have the energy to spend hours cooking. But I still have to eat… and most of the time, feed others. So easy, quick recipes are always a plus in hard times.

As easy as this cake is to make, I have to admit, if you’re out sick with fever and bed rest, you should wait a few days to bake a cake. Order out… eat soup… forget the cooking! But if you’re up for it and have got the least bit of energy, you can pull this one off with your eyes closed. It’s one of my mom’s famous recipes. We’ve been eating it in our family for as long as I can remember. And whenever I have new guests over, I love to bake this cake, as it never fails to please.

MY MOM’S ALMOND CAKE
Makes 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
Cake
4 Eggs
¾ cup Sugar
2 tbsp Flour
2 ½ tsp Baking powder
1 cup Whole almonds

Icing
2 tbsp Butter, softened
1 cup Icing sugar
2 tbsp Strong Coffee, Hot
1 tsp Cocoa powder
½ tsp Vanilla
1 cup 35% cream

Preparation
Cake
Preheat your oven at 350˚F. Butter two 8-inch springform pans

In a blender, liquefy the eggs and sugar. Add the flour, baking powder and almonds. Blend well. Separate the mixture between the two pans. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes.

Let the cake cool completely.

Icing
In a large bowl, whip the butter with the icing sugar. Add the coffee, cocoa powder and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Add the whipped cream to the moka mix.

Ice the top of both cakes. Set 1 cake on top of the other. Garnish the cake with chocolate pieces and almonds.

Note: You can bake the cake 1 day ahead and add the icing up to four hours before serving.






For the icing, I usually use instant coffee. It works wonders for the taste! 

No comments:

Post a Comment