Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cool Brunch With a Spanish Potato Tortilla

Ok, I feel really bad and my conscience is having a hard time sleeping at night. I realize I haven’t written in the past two weeks… at least. The worst part is that I haven’t really been cooking either. That’s a horrible, horrible thought! But I have great excuses (of course!): sick kids, the end of a construction site and, no free time. But things are back on track and I have some new recipes to share, plus stuff that I’m planning to try out in the next few weeks. So to you, my awesome readers, I apologize if I’ve let you down a little and I promise I’ll try to make it up to you. Do you forgive me?

This weekend we had a great big brunch with friends and we all had to bring a little something. With little time on my hands, I really had a rough time deciding on what to bring. I almost went to the market to buy a ready-made quiche; but that’s just not me. And to be honest, I sometimes find it harder to go out and find a great ready-made meal than to take the time to make it on my own (I know, that sounds weird!). So I looked in my fridge, only to find that it was almost empty… except for a bunch of eggs and some leftover cooked potatoes. What to do with so little ingredients?

That’s when it hit me. Why not make a really nice Spanish tortilla? They’re simple to make yet super tasty and it’s the perfect thing to eat around noon! Lucky me, I have a small Spanish cooking book at home so I took a look at it to make sure my version of the tortilla was made according to pure traditional Spanish style. And it was! I believe it was a success with everyone and it sure relieved me to know I was bringing something great and up to everyone’s expectation for an amazing brunch!

SPANISH POTATO TORTILLA
Makes about 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 onions, finely sliced
3 potatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves
7 eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper

PREPARATION
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Over medium-high heat cook the onions until they are transparent. Take them out of the skillet and put them on a separate plate, leaving the leftover oil in the skillet.




Add the potatoes and the garlic and cook them. When they are ready, add the onions. Blend well and take off the heat. Let cool.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs and add salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and onions to the mixture and let sit for about half an hour.



Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the egg mixture and cook. When the eggs are cooked to your taste (some like them a little juicy!), take off the heat and place a plate on top of the pan. Delicately flip the tortilla on the plate.



Serve hot with a nice salad or cold, diced in small bite size.

Note: I had some leftover potatoes from a previous dinner. So I used them instead of arranging some fresh ones. They were already seasoned so I took it easy on the salt and pepper.  


No comments:

Post a Comment