Wednesday, October 12, 2011

When There’s No Time To Cook, There’s Always Vichyssoise


My hands are full these days with a big renovation project. I know… I can be a little hyperactive sometimes. But it’s the way I like things… and with two babies on my hands, life is great but I sometimes miss the hectic lifestyle of having a fun job. So I’m creating my own jobs these days and renovating is one of them. Still, this means that my time is fully packed. I wake up, take care of the babies, run around for the renovation, and come back home to take care of the babies to finally go to sleep. There’s not much time left in there to cook… let alone eat! So I’m making really easy stuff these days, like grilled chicken or grilled fish. As long as I have the ingredient in my fridge, I’ll make it in the simplest way.

But I did take time to prepare a soup for the week. A cold one, much easier to eat when you’re in a rush! It’s a leek and potato soup called Vichyssoise. Amazingly tasty and easy to make, it’s great as an appetizer or as a portion of veggies, if your fridge is not packed with fresh veggies. I like to make my vichyssoise without dairy and then add milk or cream, depending on my mood. Make this one over the weekend and eat it all week long (or freeze it if you only want to eat a little bit at a time!).

Vichyssoise
Makes about 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 leeks, white parts only, washed and chopped
1 potato, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth
 Salt & pepper
½ cup 15% cream (optional)

PREPARATION
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and the onion over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the potatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool.

In a blender, blend the leek soup. Strain through a ‘chinois’. Put in the fridge and serve cold.





Note: Add the cream to the mixture if you like. It’ll give a nice, smooth and creamy taste to your soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment