Monday, March 21, 2011

Just In Time For Spring? Tuna, Tomato and Black Olive Sauce

What a great day for spring to arrive… with yet another snowstorm!!! I’m totally sarcastic here. What the heck is wrong with mother nature? Isn’t she happy we’re finally going outside again to enjoy the nice weather? Does she really want us to stay in, secluded from the rest of the world for longer? I can’t stand my winter boots anymore (they’ve decided to let water seek in), and don't get me started with my winter coat… soon I’ll make a big ceremony and burn it to the ground!

Ok, so I might be a little harsh. I’m sick of winter but I can still stand it. But not for long. Until it clearly goes away, I will stick to making winter food and will only dream of the day I’m going to sparkle that BBQ again. Yet nothing is stopping me from trying to get some refreshing flavours on my plate. Which is why I was really excited when I found this totally tasty and bursting with Mediterranean flavours inspired pasta sauce. With it’s lemon kick it made me think I was on the Amalfi coast, enjoying the nice Italian coastal breeze while napping in a hammock.  

The sauce is great served with Penne. Make sure you get yourself a nice bottle of Italian Red Wine to go with it. Who eats Italian pastas without a great glass of wine?!!

TUNA, TOMATO AND BLACK OLIVE SAUCE
Makes 4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme
14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
2 tbsp black olives, pitted and chopped
1 tsp green peppercorns, drained and chopped
7 oz canned tuna, drained
14 oz canned cannellini beans, drained and roughly chopped
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Salt & black pepper
4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

PREPARATION
Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy-based, deep-sided pan and sauté the onion with the garlic and thyme until soft.

Turn up the heat, add the canned tomatoes with their juice and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.

Turn down the heat, stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, peppercorns, tuna, beans and lemon zest and cook for a further 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Toss with hot pasta, sprinkle with parsley. 


No comments:

Post a Comment